Wines from Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot

Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot

Winemaking has been the main pursuit of the estate since the Gallo-Roman era. In 1787, General Jacques de Carles, impressed by his stay there, gave the estate the name "Beau-Séjour," meaning "lovely stay."

In 1969, Michel Bécot purchased the château and increased the vineyard's area to 18.50 hectares by acquiring adjacent vineyards with similar terroir. He also transformed seven hectares of former underground limestone quarries into a storage cellar where tens of thousands of bottles age in optimal conditions. Michel continued to enhance and beautify the estate until his retirement in 1985.

His sons, Gérard and Dominique, carried on their father's legacy while introducing various technical innovations to both the cellars and vineyards. They now harvest only the ripest and healthiest grapes, which are individually sorted. Juliette, Gérard's daughter, joined the estate in 2001 to market wines from the family-owned property.

Château Beau-Séjour Bécot has had a tumultuous past, having been classified as a Premier Grand Cru Classé B in 1955, demoted in 1986, and then promoted again as a Premier Grand Cru Classé B in 1996. The terroir is exceptional, with most of the vineyard located on the limestone plateau. Juliette Bécot and her husband Julien Barthe represent the third generation of her family at the estate, along with her cousins Pierre and Caroline Bécot. The wines were once ripe and full of new oak and extraction, favored by Robert Parker's tastes. However, under Juliette and Julien's leadership, there has been a significant stylistic transformation. Thomas Duclos now consults on the estate, succeeding Michel Rolland.

Read more
Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot

Added to favorites.