Since the 12th century, when the estate was known as “La Mothe de Margaux”, it actually did not have any vines planted. Only in the 16th century, with the arrival of Pierre de Lestonac, the grain fields were replaced by vines.
The wines from the château became more and more famous and the 1771 vintage became the first vintage to be included in the catalogue of the British auction house Christie’s. Also, Thomas Jefferson, who became later the third president of the United States, already mentioned “Château Margau” (without the x) as one of the four vineyards of first quality. The mansion and its buildings were completely rebuilt in 1812 in First French Empire style.
In 1855 it was classified Premier Cru (one of only four Châteaux). In 1893, the harvest was so abundant that they had to stop for six days, because they did not have enough vats. Already in 1908 they introduced a “second” wine made from young vines called “Pavillon Rouge du Château Margaux” and from 1924 on, Château Margaux decided to bottle the wine at the château itself to ensure its authenticity.
Unfortunately, hard times followed: The crisis of the 1930’s, WW2 and the mediocre vintages from the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s. However, things changed very fast with the arrival of André Mentzelopoulos in 1977 and later his daughter Corinne. They were able to put Château Margaux back to the top. It actually took just one vintage, 1978, to show the world how impressive the wine could be. Château Margaux also produces a white wine, entirely made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape.
The surface area is about 265 Ha including approximately 87 Ha reserved for the vines. Annual production of the “Grand Vin” is about 130.000 bottle. The legendary vintages are: 1870, 1893, 1899, 1900, 1928, 1929, 1953, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2015.Read more