Domaine des Comtes Lafon
Domaine des Comtes Lafon was originally founded by Jules Joseph Barthélémy Lafon, who was born in 1864. He married Marie Boch, whose family were already wine merchants and estate owners in Meursault, in january 1894.
He extended the property and purchased several important plots of land in the early 20th century, including: Le Montrachet Grand Cru (in 1918), the Meursault 1er Crus “Les Perrières”, “Les Charmes” and “Les Genevrières”, Volnay 1er Crus “Santenots” and “Clos des Chênes”. Jules Lafon largely established the domaine as it exists today.
In 1944, there was the intention to sell the domaine, but René Lafon did not agree with the idea and 12 years later, he finally took over the estate and brought the vineyards back in condition. In 1961, the entire production at Domaine des Comtes Lafon was bottled at the estate and he moved permanently from Paris to Meursault to stay at the original Victorian house built by the Boch family in 1869.
Dominique Lafon, the son of René, took over the domaine in 1984 and ended the sharecropping agreements gradually, so from 1987 on, the entire 13.80 Ha has been managed exclusively by the Domaine des Comtes Lafon. Since 1995, the viticulture has been completely biodynamic. Nowadays, the wines from this domaine are considered magnificent from top to bottom. Both the white wines from Chardonnay and the red wines from Pinot Noir are capable to age very well, and especially “Le Montrachet Grand Cru” belongs to the very best produced in Burgundy.
In 1999, a second label was introduced especially for wines from the Macon: “Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon”. Recent top vintages for the domaine are (both red and white wines): 1995, 1996, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014 and 2015.Read more