Domaine Jacques Prieur
The history of this domaine, situated in Meursault, began with the marriage of Claude Duvergey and Marie Taboureau in 1868. Their parents were winegrowers. Claude founded the House of Duvergey-Taboureau and started the spirits and wine merchant business. In 1879, he acquired the “Les Herbeux” estate, which is the current heart of the domaine.
Duvergey also started to buy vineyards throughout Burgundy and invested in viticulture. In 1893, Jacques Prieur was born. He was the great nephew of Marie Taboureau and inherited the domaine in 1920. In 1924, together with Comte Jules Lafon, he instituted the famous “Paulée de Meursault” to celebrate the end of the harvest with all winegrowers of Meursault. Jacques Prieur was also the co-founder of the famous “Chevaliers du Tastevin”.
In 1956, he decided to give his name to the domaine. Jacques Prieur died in 1965 and he left the estate and the winery to his 6 children. In 1988, 5 important French families (including the Labruyère family) bought the domaine in order to prevent selling the estate to foreign investors. The Labruyère family became the major shareholders and at present they run, together with the heirs of Jacques Prieur, the domaine.
The domaine has 21 Ha of vineyards (11 Ha of Pinot Noir vines and 10 Ha of Chardonnay vines) and Jacques Prieur owns plots in 1/3 of all Grands Crus in the Côte d’Or, such as Le Montrachet Grand Cru, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru, Musigny Grand Cru, Chambertin Grand Cru and Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru. They furthermore own plots of vineyards in 14 Premier Crus, such as Meursault 1er Cru”Les Perrières” and Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru “Les Combettes”.
A beautiful domaine with an outstanding portfolio, the wines are worth seeking out to exprerience.Read more