Bouchard Père & Fils
Bouchard Père & Fils is the largest vineyard owner in the Côte d’Or of Burgundy. Its total holdings comprise of over 130 Ha, including 12 Ha of Grands Crus and 74 Ha of Premiers Crus. Already in 1731, Michel Bouchard moved from the Dauphiné (South-East of France) to Volnay in the Côte de Beaune to start a company.
The first vineyards were bought by Michel’s son Joseph in 1775 in Volnay as well. After the French revolution, the company was able to extend their property by purchasing multiple other vineyards or parts of them. The following years, a further generation of the Bouchard family came in control of the business and in 1811 the name became officially Bouchard Père & Fils.
At this moment, other forms of commerce had been given up completely, only to focus on wine making and selling. At present, Bouchard Père & Fils produces more than 100 different wines, mostly produced from Pinot Noir (red wines) and Chardonnay (white wines), although the Aligoté (white) and the Gamay (red) grape can also be found in their portfolio. Not just wines from the “Côte d’Or” are made but also from the regions “Maconnais”, “Côte Chalonnaise” and “Beaujolais”.
The most important holdings from Bouchard Père & Fils are some Grands Crus such as: Bonnes Mares (0.24Ha), Le Chambertin (0.15 Ha), Clos de Vougeot (0.45 Ha), Echézeaux (0.39 Ha), Le Montrachet (0.89 Ha), Chevalier-Montrachet “La Cabotte” (0.21 Ha plus an additional 2.33 Ha Chevalier – Montrachet) and Corton-Charlemagne (3.25Ha), but also the red Beaune 1er Cru “Grèves – Vigne de l’Enfant Jésus” (4.00 Ha) and the monopole Beaune 1er Cru “Clos St. Landry” (white).
Since 2005, the wines from Bouchard Père & Fils are made in Savigny-Les Beaune and the wines are matured at the Château de Beaune. They also own a collection of over 2000 bottles from the 19th century. In 1995, the company was sold to the Groupe La Vigie / Joseph Henriot. The last decades, the wines are of excellent quality from top to bottom.Read more