Domaine Arlaud is situated in Burgundy's Morey-Saint-Denis and covers 15 hectares of land with 19 appellations.
Joseph Arlaud and Renée Amiot created Domaine Arlaud in 1942 when they married, bringing together excellent vineyards from Renée's dowry and shrewd acquisitions by Joseph from 1949. The family acquired a 14th-century building in 1966 to age their wines, which is displayed on their wine labels. Hervé, their son, took over in 1983, increased the estate with his wife Brigitte, and their children joined them from 2004 to 2012.
In 2003, the family moved their operations to a new, modern facility in Morey Saint Denis. Still, they still use the 14th-century cellar in the heart of Nuits Saint Georges for their wine library and special tastings. Cyprien Arlaud took over the management of the family estate in 2013 when it had grown to 15 hectares, consisting of 19 separate Appellation Controlled vineyard sites, with choice plots in 4 grand Crus: Clos de la Roche, Clos Saint Denis, Charmes Chambertin, and Bonnes Mares.
The Arlaud family practices organic farming since 2004, currently awaiting certification, and plans various biodynamic trials. They own Domaine Arlaud Pere & Fils, created by Joseph Arlaud after World War II, and are not yet fully retired, but their children run the domaine. Cyprien has been there since 1998, his brother Romain since 2004, and his sister Bertille manages the two Auxois horses used to plough four hectares of their own vineyards and a similar amount for other domaines.
While the Arlauds have kept the attractive cellar in Nuits-St-Georges, the vinification and élévage take place in modern cellars below the main road in Morey. Cyprien Arlaud's winemaking techniques are considered "modern classic," including a vibrating sorting table, 100% destemming, cool pre-maceration, pumping over, and a varying proportion of new wood.Read more