The castle of Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey was initially used as a fortress in the 13th century. The first vines were only planted a few centuries later. In 1618, the estate was bought by Sieur Raymond Peyraguey and he named his property after himself. It was not until hundreds of years later that the château came into the hands of Pierre Lafeurie, who then linked his name to the estate. This is how it got its current name. The château is part of the Premier Grand Cru Classé of the 1855 Bordeaux classification.
The winery is located in the heart of Sauternes and the vineyards are adjacent to those of the legendary winery Château d'Yquem. The vineyards cover 18.5 hectares. Of this area, 93% is planted with Semillon, 6% with Sauvignon Blanc and only 1% with Muscadelle. The winery also has one very special plot in production: Maisons Rouge. This is one of the oldest walled vineyards in the area. The soil consists of gravel, clay and a lot of limestone. This combination provides the right balance and complexity.
Harvesting is an intensive and time-consuming process. It is essential that the grapes have been affected by noble rot and that they are properly ripe. Yields are extremely low, each plot yielding only 13 hectoliters per hectare. Both fermentation and maturation take place in French barriques. The proportion of new wood is 60% on average. Barrel aging takes an average of 18-20 months. La Chapelle de Lafaurie Peyraguey is the second wine of the winery. In addition, they also produce two dry wines, called Le Brut de Lafaurie and Le Lys de Lafaurie-Peygraguey.
The wines of Lafaurie-Peyraguey belong to the absolute top of Sauternes!Read more