Since the 12th century, when the estate was known as “La Mothe de Margaux”, it actually did not have any vines planted. Only in the 16th century, with the arrival of Pierre de Lestonac, the grain fields were replaced by vines.
The wines from the château became more and more famous and the 1771 vintage became the first vintage to be included in the catalogue of the British auction house Christie’s. Also, Thomas Jefferson, who became later the third president of the United States, already mentioned “Château Margau” (without the x) as one of the four vineyards of first quality. The mansion and its buildings were completely rebuilt in 1812 in First French Empire style.